Sr. Manager/Director of Medical Education – Orange County, CA
As part of Global Medical Affairs, the Sr. Manager/Director of Medical Education is responsible for the successful execution of company Medical Affairs programs, including:
• Plan, manage and execute company’s New Customer Training and certification program worldwide, implement Staff and Surgeon training modules, develop strategies for training global field team.
• Associated to training and monitoring activities, the candidate will support implementation and execution of company’s podium and evidence plan, including:
o Planning, design, and execution of single or multi-center clinical studies prior and/or subsequent to commercialization, and secures the quality of the data documentation.
This position reports directly to the VP of Medical Affairs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (fundamental job duties):
• Professional education
o Development and implementation of training programs, tools, and certification processes
o Responsible for tracking outcomes globally
o Trains and updates study and commercial sites in the appropriate patient selection, surgical application and technique and provide support during surgery. Secures the appropriate follow up (medical regimen, post-op visits, tracking outcomes) are routinely completed by the users
• Publication strategy
o Implement and execute evidence plan
o Ongoing management of peer to peer, podium, and trade publication development and submissions
o Review and interpret study results as well as generates and/or reviews publications, posters and scientific presentations
• Field clinical support
o Post market clinical study support, as well as field clinical support and training
o Interaction with users of product in the field (study sites, commercial users, KOLs).
o Available for training new accounts
o Expert resource to commercial team
• Professional relations
o Supporting KOL program and advisory board strategy
• Experience building and implementing a complex clinical education process
• Experience working closely with physicians globally
• Experience serving as expert resource to sales and marketing teams
• Ability to clearly communicate complex messages to commercial accounts (surgeons, staff, etc) and to internal field personnel
• Approximately 25% globally. Travel includes attendance to selected scientific congresses.
• Professional degree (MD, OD, PhD, PharmD) with appropriate clinical and medical affairs experience
• Experience in Ophthalmology (ideally cataract and refractive surgery)
• Experience developing and executing a medical publications strategy
• General knowledge of clinical trial methodology, regulatory requirements governing clinical trials and experience in developing and implementing clinical trials
• English is required. A second language is a plus.
• Demonstrated strategic skills and previous management experience
• Understands statistics to evaluate if reported data is scientifically sound
• Ability to establish and maintain long-term relationships with field team, external customers and thought leaders
• Ability to interact externally and internally to support global business strategy
• Execution and Project Management
• Long term planner, strategic thinker
• Team-building and Leadership skills
• Ability to make clinical decisions on patient safety
• Be known as a person who has high integrity, sound character and a tremendous work ethic.
Management of subordinates:
At present, the position is “stand alone”. When opportunity presents, the position responsibility will extend to managing subordinates field clinical application specialist(s).