Career Development Tips From Industry Professionals
Words of wisdom from SABPA’s 8th Annual Education & Career Development industry professionals:
Bhasker V. Shetty, Ph.D., Vice President, Pfizer Worldwide R&D and Site Director of Pfizer La Jolla Laboratories
• Learn to be independent, live with a diverse group of people and form life-long professional networks; respect all people
• Be fair and do not to cut corners at the expense of customers; learn all aspects of the business and deliver on your promises
• Do what you do best; share your knowledge; be detail oriented
• Develop a clear communication style, learn to actively listen and present concise ideas, provide solutions and feedback, challenge conflict, get out of your comfort zone
• Be a change agent; seek continuous improvement
• Hire people smarter than you; don’t micromanage
Magda Marquet, Ph.D., Co-Chair & Founder, Althea Technologies
• Before deciding on embarking your own business, you must decide:
o what is the reason?
o what is your purpose?
o is there a clear market need?
• Plan how your business will work and operate:
o write a business plan; have a clear long term vision
o find mentors; network with people
o raise money
• Get out of your comfort zone and listen to your guts
• Don’t be afraid to take risks
• Be willing to try new things but learn from the past
• Obstacles lead you to new opportunities; always look at things from a different perspective
• Surround yourself with a great team
• It is important to have fun and celebrate
• Be thankful and give back
• Cash is QUEEN!
Click here for the complete article.